Jayne Corner
Cart 0
 
 

About Hypnosis & FAQs

 
 
Jayne+Corner+11.jpg
 

So what is hypnosis?

First it’s important to understand how your mind works a little better.

Your mind is divided up into the conscious mind and subconscious mind. Your conscious mind makes up roughly 5% and is responsible for your willpower, long term memory, and your logical and critical thinking. Your subconscious mind on the other hand, makes up 95% and is responsible for your beliefs, emotions, habits, values and your protective reactions. These beliefs, emotions, habits, values and 'internal programs' are ultimately responsible for your behaviour, and how life shows up for you. What does this mean? It means what you think and believe drive your actions, and ultimately your life.

The ‘inner programs’ you have running are what makes change so hard.

Chances are you already know how you want things to be different in your life, and perhaps you have already tried to make some changes. But have you ever felt that willpower alone only gets you so far, as though your actions were beyond your control? I get it, I’ve been there! And don’t worry you’re not going crazy! Your subconscious mind (the powerhouse behind your life) ultimately runs the show, and in order to create long lasting change you need to reprogram the ‘master computer’ from the inside. And the good news is that hypnosis allows you to do just that, it allows you to communicate with your subconscious, and reprogram your mind from the inside out.

 
 

But, what exactly is hypnosis?

Hypnosis is actually a natural ‘state’ that your brain goes into, and which can be described as a deeply relaxed inwardly focused state. In fact, hypnosis is something that we all go in and out of many times during the day. A simple example of when your brain may go into the state of hypnosis is when you are reading a book. When you are completely oblivious to what is going on around you and totally absorbed by what you are reading – you are in fact in hypnosis. Pretty cool right? You are also in a hypnotic state when you are so fully engaged in a task that you may look up to find an hour has gone by - this could be anything from gardening, painting to writing. It’s the feeling of being totally engrossed in what you are doing, and being completely focused.

When we enter the state of hypnosis (also called a ‘trance state’), our brain waves actually slow down from Beta (which is associated with normal waking, active thinking and alertness) to Alpha (light hypnosis) and slow further down to Theta (day dreaming, deep hypnosis, drowsiness).  This is one reason why being hypnotised can feel so wonderfully relaxing!

We are all unique and each of us will experience a 'trance state' (the state of hypnosis) differently.

It can be a very personal experience, and I often describe the feeling as being very deeply relaxed with a deep sense of inner calm.  When in a hypnotic trance the amount of information you may remember will also vary between person to person. It's not unusual to be very aware and hear everything that is going on around you. For others, they may drift in and out, only remembering part of what was said.

What is important is to remember that your experience is right and natural for you. Your experiences are always perfect as the subconscious mind is always listening. 

 
Website-blocks10.png
 

So how does hypnotherapy (hypnosis) work?

Great question! Hypnotherapy is therapy which takes place while you are in the state of hypnosis. This can occur in person, or while using hypnosis audio sessions. During hypnosis your body and conscious mind are deeply relaxed, while your subconscious mind remains wide awake, open, and receptive to suggestion. In this altered state of consciousness it is possible to unlock your inner strengths and resources, reprogram old limiting beliefs about yourself or others, and allow for healing and letting go. 

Hypnosis is one of the most powerful ways to build new behaviours, create new patterns and find alternate ways of dealing with situations. The power of hypnosis lies in the ability to tap into the full potential of your imagination without the normal restrictions of your critical mind.

Hypnosis has been described as ‘the gateway to the core of your being’.

 
 

But can I be hypnotised?

Whilst in theory there is no physical reason why everyone cannot be hypnotised, there can be psychological reasons that make some people more resistant to being in an hypnotic state that others.

If you are resistant to the process it can very hard to relax enough to enter a true hypnotic state. Usually those who believe that they cannot be hypnotised have a deep seated need for control. They think that if they allow themselves to be hypnotised they will be giving up control, so will never allow themselves to relax enough to get to the hypnotic state. Hopefully you know by now that this is not the case!

The key is trust in the experience.

 
Website-blocks10.png